SALMON FISHING IS PERMITTED: 01.06-31.08.
SALMON FISHING IS PROHIBITED BETWEEN
Sunday 19.00- and Monday klo 19.00
ALL FISHING IS PROHIBITED: 15.09.-15.12.
MINIMUM FISH DIMENSIONS
• SALMON: 50 cm
• GRAYLING: 35 cm
THE CATCH QUOTA
is just one (1) salmon per day.
to make a notification of your catch. Only notify your catch at one catch record point which are located in sport shops, camping sites and at several permit sales points, etc.
DO NOT SPREAD THE SALMON PARASITE GYRODACTYLUS SALARIES!
Dry and disinfect your fishingequipment when moving from one salmon river to another.
SALMON FISHING CODE
1. All those fishing should observe this fishing code as well as adhere to the fishing regulations laid down by the governments of Finland and Sweden.
2. If you do not know a particular river well ask local fishermen for advice on how to move and fish safely without disturbing others. Take care of yourself – there are no alternative to the use of lifejackets.
3. Navigate motorboats along lanes to specifically marked points for coming ashore. During high water the navigation line is generally in the centre of the river while at low water it may be elsewhere.
4. Always avoid navigating through waters where stationary fishermen are fishing. Navigate a safe distance and reduce your speed.
5. Do not start fishing until it is your turn. Queue jumping only causes disputes.
6. If there are other fishermen waiting for their turn to row out, come ashore and wait for your next turn. Do not start fishing downstream from boats located in the waiting area.
7. Do not prolong your fishing at any given fishing spot. This only causes disturbance to others.
8. Always give way to fishermen who have hooked a salmon. Remember that the salmon may be up to two hundred meters away from the fisherman. If necessary reel in your own lines.
9. Only light fires at official campfire sites and log shelters situated on the riverbank. Do not damage living trees. Shelters are intended as short-term resting places and not for overnight accommodation.
10. Do not litter! Take your rubbish with you or put it in the waste sacks intended for the purpose. Combustible waste may be burned on the campfire. Protect your fragile natural environment wherever you are.
11. Remember to make a catch notification – it is more important than you might think.
12. Do not be greedy! There are only a certain number of salmon in the river and you share the responsibility to preserving the salmon stock. Remember that salmon does not keep for more than a couple of months even in a deep freezer.
LAPLAND ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT AUTHORITIES, MARINE AND WATER AUTHORITIES, TRANSPORT AND THE ENVIRONMENT AUTHORITIES AND THE OWNERS OF FISHING GROUNDS WITHIN THE STATUTORY LOCAL FISHING ASSOCIATIONS HAVE TOGETHER COME TO THE FOLLOWING AGREEMENT CONCERNING A COMMON LURE FISHING PERMIT IN THE TORNIO-MUONIO-KÖNKÄMÄ RIVERS.
THE AGREEMENT IS NOT VALID:
– for any kind of lure fishing in the fishing area of Matkakoski in Swedish side of the river.
– for fishing any other fish than salmon in the private fishing waters in the muncipality of Pello.
Torneriver trout TROUT IS A PROTECTED FISH SPECIES IN THE WHOLE TORNIO RIVER FISHING ZONE AND IF CAUGHT THEY MUST BE PUT BACK TO THE WATER UNHARMED!.
FISHING ON THE FINNISH SIDE:
Concerning salmon the contract is valid in the fishing grounds on the Finnish parts of the River Tornio, the River Muonio and the River Könkämäeno (the border rivers). With regards to salmon, the contract is valid up to as far as Lake Kilpisjärvi.
To fish other species is allowed only on the following border fishing areas:
Pirkkiön kalastuskunta, Tornion kaupunki, Kivirannan, Kukkolankosken ja Karungin kalastuskunnat, Kukkolan osakaskunta, Alavojakkalan jakokunnan osakaskunta, Ylivojakkalan kalastuskunta, Matkakoski Oy, Korpikylän osakaskunta, Kaulirannan, Närkki-Tengeliö-Portimon, Kainuunkylän, Nuotiorannan, Alkkulan, Armassaaren ja Kolarin kalastuskunnat, Lappean-Ääverkosken kalastusalue, Ristimella-Luttunen, Suomen valtio/Metsähallitus, Kangosjärven, Ylimuonion, Ylimuonion Isosaaren, Kätkäsuvannon ja Palojoensuun osakaskunnat, Kaaresuvannon ja Kelottijärven kalastuskunnat.
FISHING ON THE SWEDISH SIDE:
To fish salmon, trout and other species is allowed only on the following border fishing areas:
Nerdre Vojakkalas, Övre Vojakkalas och Kukkolas vattenområden, Forest Land and Linus Rova, Parkajoki fiskevårdsförening, Kieksiäisvaaras skifteslag, Kengis samfällighetsförening/C-E Sohlberg, Ruokojärvis skifteslag, Jarhois- and Kassa samfällighetsförening, Juoksengis och Kuivakangas skifteslags samfällighetsföreningar,Pello samfällighetsförening, Ruskolas skifteslag, Vitsaniemi skifteslags samfällighetsförening, Niemis skifteslags, Päkkilä byasamfällighet, Huuki byasamfällighet, Ristimella 1:1, Koivukylä Byamans Samfällighetsförening. The permit entitles to fish only salmon in the municipality of Pajala area, on the Swedish side of the River.
The common permit allows for riverbank sport fishing of salmon on the Finnish side of the border. On the Swedish side of the border sport fishing may be practiced only within those joint ownership fishing associations which have entered into this agreement as well as in the municipality of Pajala only at fishing spots marked by the statutory local fishing associations. Fishing from rowing or motorboats is only permitted while the vessel is on the open water and not when it is moored or otherwise ashore.
In addition to this agreement government regulations apply to fishing in the Tornionjoki fishing area. www.finlex.fi/fi/sopimukset/sopimussarja/2010/20100029.pdf
In between the rapids in the junction of Tornio- and Muonio rivers, the water strech is owned together by Lappea-Ääverkoski fishing associations and Kengis Bruk Ab/C-E Sohlberg (about 3 hectares) and there the fishing off the boat is permitted as guided only for safety reasons.
This agreement is not valid in the fishing competitions of salmon which are deviced at the Border River Commission area. The competition organizer must have water area owner’s permission and the attendee must have a valid fishing permission.
ROD AND FLOAT FISHING FROM MOTOR VESSELS
is prohibited except on the quiet stretch of waterway downstream of the bridge between Övertorneå and Aavasaksa as far as the mouth of the River Tornio.